RecoveryRx® Medical Device Technology
Postoperative Pain & Edema
Recovery & Pain Management
The RecoveryRx® medical device provides a safe and cost-effective pain management therapy for medical professionals. RecoveryRx® is a miniaturized wearable pulsed shortwave diathermy device used to reduce pain, inflammation, edema and accelerate the healing process. The concept is replacing short duration, high power treatments in the clinic delivered by a trained professional, with an easy to use, self-administered, very low power device that can be used 24 hours per day.
How does the RecoveryRx® technology work?
Pain is caused by inflammation, which is a swelling in the tissues of the body that then puts pressure on nerves causing pain. Chemical signals are also released by damaged cells in inflamed tissue that activate the nerves changing a chemical signal into an electrical impulse that causes pain for the body. Inflammation can be both acute, occurring immediately after an injury, or chronic (long lasting) inflammation which is unhealthy and can linger for months or years. Many diseases have been linked to chronic inflammation.
RecoveryRx® Core Technology
Working as an adjunct therapy, RecoveryRx® adds another dimension to multimodal approaches to pain management improving patient comfort. RecoveryRx® has been clinically shown to significantly reduce postoperative pain and the use of narcotic pain medication postoperatively, potentially reducing the incidence of adverse side effects associated with these drugs.
Pulsed shortwave therapy is widely used to treat pain in a wide array of medical applications, including musculoskeletal pain, edema, postoperative pain and the promotion of wound healing. These claims are backed by an extensive list of clinical publications and research. Visit our Clinical Evidence page for complete clinical information.
PEMF therapy has been shown to have a number of therapeutic effects. These include reducing inflammation, increasing wound tensile strength, vasodilation, promoting angiogenesis and reducing postoperative pain. These effects result in a decreased need for postoperative pain medication and promotion of wound healing. Cell studies have shown gene families involved in tissue repair up-regulated after PEMF exposure (3). In mouse models of diabetic wounds, PEMF therapy has shown to increase dermal cell proliferation, increase tissue granulation and increase wound healing rates (4). And in human experimental wounds, PEMF treatment with an extended use device decreased healing times from 54 days in control to 39 days in the treated group (5), with advanced wound morphology also seen.
Cost Benefits of RecoveryRx®
Effective PEMF therapy at the cost that RecoveryRx® delivers has the potential to positively impact healthcare costs, both in wound care and for postoperative recovery. Chronic wound care in today’s society, with the increasing incidence of diabetes and an aging population is extreme. Case studies show that RecoveryRx® is effective at healing chronic wounds, and unlike advanced wound therapies has a low cost which means that it can be applied, not just to stalled wounds, but as a first choice therapy to improve healing times.
In postoperative surgical recovery, RecoveryRx® significantly reduces the level of pain medications required. Impacting patient comfort, reducing narcotic medication use and side effects and potentially limiting the incidence of chronic pain.
(1) Rawe IM, Lowenstein A, Barcelo CR, Genecov DG. Control of Postoperative Pain with a Wearable Continuously Operating Pulsed Radiofrequency Energy Device: A Preliminary Study. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2011 Oct 25.
(2) Rawe, I. M. and T. C. Vlahovic (2011). The use of a portable, wearable form of pulsed radio frequency electromagnetic energy device for the healing of recalcitrant ulcers: A case report. Int Wound J. 2011 Sep 20. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-481X.2011.00853.x.
(3) Moffett, J., Kubat, N. J., Griffin, N. E., et al. Pulsed radio frequency energy field treatment of cells in culture results in increased expression of genes involved in angiogenesis and tissue remodeling during wound healing. The Journal of Diabetic Foot Complications 3, 30-39.
(4) Li Q, Kao H, Matros E, Peng C, Murphy GF, Guo L. Pulsed radiofrequency energy accelerates wound healing in diabetic mice. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 Jun;127(6):2255-62.
(5) Bentall R.H.C Low-level pulsed radiofrequency fields and the treatment of soft-tissue Bioelectrochemistry and Bioenergetics, 16 (1986) 531-548 A section of J. ElectroanaL Chem., and constituting Vol . 212 (1986)
Contact us today!
Have a question about the RecoveryRx® technology or products? Feel free to contact us at 1-888-757-2284 or email@example.com. We are open Monday – Friday 8am-5pm EST.Contact us!
“I use RecoveryRx™ on every facial procedure. It reduces my patients bruising and swelling by 50% following Blepharoplasty, Face Lifts, and Rhinoplasty. As a result of RecoveryRx, two weeks of standard surgical recovery has been reduced to 5-7 days.”
Laurie Casas MD, FACS
Feinberg School of Medicine